• Got questions about Brexit? Post now ahead of our Q&A on 5 December 1-3pm

Name:  Brexit 3 banner.png
Views: 258
Size:  176.2 KB

With the countdown to Brexit well underway I’m sure that many of you have unanswered questions about Brexit? We are providing you with exclusive access to EEF experts Fergus McReynolds & Richard Rumbelow in a Q&A session on the EEF Manufacturing Network on Wednesday 5th December between 1-3pm (GMT).

The debate about the type of Brexit deal the UK ultimately gets with the EU is of vital interest to many UK manufacturers.

Not sure what to ask?
    Fergus and Richard are well placed to answer all questions about Brexit, covering areas such as:

• Measures your business can take to prepare for Brexit
    • Trade after Brexit including customs, tariffs etc
    • Brexit related policy
    • The Brexit timeline

They can answer all your questions no matter how big or small perhaps your confused around:

• What does Brexit actually mean for the UK?
    • What are the main elements of the proposed Brexit deal?
    • When will Parliament vote on the Brexit deal?
    • Will Brexit even happen?

If you have a question for Fergus and Richard then please post it below and they will answer it on the network on Wednesday 5th December between 1-3pm. If any of your colleagues have questions about Brexit then encourage them to join the network and post them below.

Make sure you put the date in your diary so you can log on and watch the conversation unfold on the network!

More information on Fergus & Richard and their areas of expertise can be seen below.

Thanks

Amy

Name:  Register for network long banner.png
Views: 154
Size:  19.0 KB

About Fergus McReynolds
    Fergus McReynolds represents EEF, in Brussels, leading EEF’s engagement on Brexit and liaising with the European institutions and stakeholders on a wide range of European policies. Working with the UK Government, the EU Commission, the European Parliament and our European partner organisations, including Ceemet; Fergus ensures that manufacturers in the UK have a strong voice when it comes to the Brexit negotiations as well as the formation of European policies.

In close collaboration with EEF’s policy and external affairs team, he follows the European legislative programme and provides advice and guidance on political developments in the EU. Fergus’s work on Brexit helps to develop EEF’s strategy and feeds key recommendations into governments and stakeholders at all levels.

Fergus has a Masters in Chemistry from the University of Warwick and joined EEF as a Senior Climate & Environment Policy Adviser. Before joining EEF, he worked in the food industry providing guidance and analysis for dairy companies. He was instrumental in setting up the environmental target setting project, the Dairy Roadmap, in the UK.

Fergus has since sat on various government and industry advisory panels in the UK and abroad. In the past, he spent six months on secondment in the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

About Richard Rumbelow
    Richard provides analysis, political advocacy and policy representation to senior levels of UK Government, EU Parliament and other influencers on the critical business and trade issues related to the UK’s discussions to leave the EU and the impact across Member firms in the UK’s manufacturing sector.

Prior to this, Richard has held senior corporate communications and public affairs leadership roles with expertise in creating and developing effective departments and inspiring high-performance teams. His experience is across multiple and challenging diverse business sectors, including telecommunications, retail and payment systems. He has worked on successful advocacy campaigns in international markets, including in sub-Saharan Africa, and builds productive and engaging stakeholder relationships including providing counsel to senior executives.

Richard holds graduate and post-graduate qualifications in business and management and is a member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, and Chartered Management Institute.
    Last edited by Amy Brunsdon; 29-11-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Network Community Manager
    Download the EEF Network app for iPhone or Android here
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the network here
  • Name:  Brexit 3 banner.png
Views: 258
Size:  176.2 KB

With the countdown to Brexit well underway I’m sure that many of you have unanswered questions about Brexit? We are providing you with exclusive access to EEF experts Fergus McReynolds & Richard Rumbelow in a Q&A session on the EEF Manufacturing Network on Wednesday 5th December between 1-3pm (GMT).

The debate about the type of Brexit deal the UK ultimately gets with the EU is of vital interest to many UK manufacturers.

Not sure what to ask?
    Fergus and Richard are well placed to answer all questions about Brexit, covering areas such as:

• Measures your business can take to prepare for Brexit
    • Trade after Brexit including customs, tariffs etc
    • Brexit related policy
    • The Brexit timeline

They can answer all your questions no matter how big or small perhaps your confused around:

• What does Brexit actually mean for the UK?
    • What are the main elements of the proposed Brexit deal?
    • When will Parliament vote on the Brexit deal?
    • Will Brexit even happen?

If you have a question for Fergus and Richard then please post it below and they will answer it on the network on Wednesday 5th December between 1-3pm. If any of your colleagues have questions about Brexit then encourage them to join the network and post them below.

Make sure you put the date in your diary so you can log on and watch the conversation unfold on the network!

More information on Fergus & Richard and their areas of expertise can be seen below.

Thanks

Amy

Name:  Register for network long banner.png
Views: 154
Size:  19.0 KB

About Fergus McReynolds
    Fergus McReynolds represents EEF, in Brussels, leading EEF’s engagement on Brexit and liaising with the European institutions and stakeholders on a wide range of European policies. Working with the UK Government, the EU Commission, the European Parliament and our European partner organisations, including Ceemet; Fergus ensures that manufacturers in the UK have a strong voice when it comes to the Brexit negotiations as well as the formation of European policies.

In close collaboration with EEF’s policy and external affairs team, he follows the European legislative programme and provides advice and guidance on political developments in the EU. Fergus’s work on Brexit helps to develop EEF’s strategy and feeds key recommendations into governments and stakeholders at all levels.

Fergus has a Masters in Chemistry from the University of Warwick and joined EEF as a Senior Climate & Environment Policy Adviser. Before joining EEF, he worked in the food industry providing guidance and analysis for dairy companies. He was instrumental in setting up the environmental target setting project, the Dairy Roadmap, in the UK.

Fergus has since sat on various government and industry advisory panels in the UK and abroad. In the past, he spent six months on secondment in the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

About Richard Rumbelow
    Richard provides analysis, political advocacy and policy representation to senior levels of UK Government, EU Parliament and other influencers on the critical business and trade issues related to the UK’s discussions to leave the EU and the impact across Member firms in the UK’s manufacturing sector.

Prior to this, Richard has held senior corporate communications and public affairs leadership roles with expertise in creating and developing effective departments and inspiring high-performance teams. His experience is across multiple and challenging diverse business sectors, including telecommunications, retail and payment systems. He has worked on successful advocacy campaigns in international markets, including in sub-Saharan Africa, and builds productive and engaging stakeholder relationships including providing counsel to senior executives.

Richard holds graduate and post-graduate qualifications in business and management and is a member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, and Chartered Management Institute.
  • Thank you Amy for organising this Q&A. My question is about import duties, under WTO rules, in the event of a Hard Brexit. Do we know if the UK government will enforce the import duty? Do they have an option not to enforce it? If they did enforce it then is there any way for manufacturers to reduce, offset or defer the impact (other than try and pass the cost onto our customers!!!). Many thanks. Mike
    Last edited by Amy Brunsdon; 23-11-2018 at 09:04 AM.
  • Thank you Amy for organising this Q&A. My question is about import duties, under WTO rules, in the event of a Hard Brexit. Do we know if the UK government will enforce the import duty? Do they have an option not to enforce it? If they did enforce it then is there any way for manufacturers to reduce, offset or defer the impact (other than try and pass the cost onto our customers!!!). Many thanks. Mike
  • Hi @Michael Hague-Morgan,

Thanks for your great question, I'm sure others will find the answer helpful.

A reminder for others to keep the questions coming in ahead of the Q&A. You can post in reply to this thread or send questions to me in a private message/email. Remember there's no such thing as a stupid question!

Amy
  • Hi @Michael Hague-Morgan,

Thanks for your great question, I'm sure others will find the answer helpful.

A reminder for others to keep the questions coming in ahead of the Q&A. You can post in reply to this thread or send questions to me in a private message/email. Remember there's no such thing as a stupid question!

Amy
  • Posting some anonymous questions from the community:

What steps should my business be talking to reassure EU nationals in my workforce?
    What measures can I take in terms of stockholding to mitigate any negative impacts of Brexit?

Remember to keep your questions coming in for the Q&A next week.

Amy
  • Posting some anonymous questions from the community:

What steps should my business be talking to reassure EU nationals in my workforce?
    What measures can I take in terms of stockholding to mitigate any negative impacts of Brexit?

Remember to keep your questions coming in for the Q&A next week.

Amy
  • Posting questions on behalf of Kevin Rough, CEO, Daniamant

Background Daniamant manufacture maritime safety equipment in Europe is a key market for us and we have a Danish parent company.

1. My team travel to Europe regularly for short stays to attend meetings and conferences etc what are the implications on travel in the event of: The exit deal with the EU being agreed, and secondly a no deal scenario?

2. We are currently registered to the MARed European database of suppliers for maritime equipment approvals which we believe assists customers to identify and specify our products. In a no deal hard BREXIT scenario will we continue to register and access the database?

3. How do I model the potential tarrif implications of a no deal hard BREXIT scenario on the products we manufacture and export?
  • Posting questions on behalf of Kevin Rough, CEO, Daniamant

Background Daniamant manufacture maritime safety equipment in Europe is a key market for us and we have a Danish parent company.

1. My team travel to Europe regularly for short stays to attend meetings and conferences etc what are the implications on travel in the event of: The exit deal with the EU being agreed, and secondly a no deal scenario?

2. We are currently registered to the MARed European database of suppliers for maritime equipment approvals which we believe assists customers to identify and specify our products. In a no deal hard BREXIT scenario will we continue to register and access the database?

3. How do I model the potential tarrif implications of a no deal hard BREXIT scenario on the products we manufacture and export?
  • Hi,

We are a British manufacturer making domestic, commercial, industrial cleaning and maintenance equipment most recognised for smiling 'Henry' type of domestic vacuum cleaner.

Our organisation is actively working with relevant bodies to understand potential impacts of 'Brexit'.

Please see the list of questions below, we will be looking forward to see your thoughts.

1) Could you please recommend the most appropriate procedures for going through tariff code revalidation when dealing with a high number of items? Possibly there are some experts in the field that could be useful to work with in order to ensure that the codes are correct?

2) Due to the technical knowledge required to assign certain tariff codes, would there be a penalty if the correct tax percentage was applied but the product was slightly mischaracterised i.e. the last 2 digits?

3) Are there any official guidelines for items that could come under multiple classifications, for instance a ‘part of’ item that also has individual classification? How would this affect spare parts vs finished goods? Old terminology was established with the use of umbrella codes.

4) On your Brexit tool kit one of the benefits stated is “Enable you to find any tax and duty relief schemes your business can take advantage of” at what point does this information become available?

5) What happens to the Intrastat report after March the 29th?

6) What is the timescale for the introduction of new HMRC import software (i.e. Chief replacement)?

7) Is an increase in tariff code auditing to be expected in the aftermath of Brexit, if so how frequently would you expect? Currently we have had 2 in 8 years.

8) Do you have any idea of likely impacts to the borders and precautions to make in response?

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Klaudia, Supply Chain Analyst
  • Hi,

We are a British manufacturer making domestic, commercial, industrial cleaning and maintenance equipment most recognised for smiling 'Henry' type of domestic vacuum cleaner.

Our organisation is actively working with relevant bodies to understand potential impacts of 'Brexit'.

Please see the list of questions below, we will be looking forward to see your thoughts.

1) Could you please recommend the most appropriate procedures for going through tariff code revalidation when dealing with a high number of items? Possibly there are some experts in the field that could be useful to work with in order to ensure that the codes are correct?

2) Due to the technical knowledge required to assign certain tariff codes, would there be a penalty if the correct tax percentage was applied but the product was slightly mischaracterised i.e. the last 2 digits?

3) Are there any official guidelines for items that could come under multiple classifications, for instance a ‘part of’ item that also has individual classification? How would this affect spare parts vs finished goods? Old terminology was established with the use of umbrella codes.

4) On your Brexit tool kit one of the benefits stated is “Enable you to find any tax and duty relief schemes your business can take advantage of” at what point does this information become available?

5) What happens to the Intrastat report after March the 29th?

6) What is the timescale for the introduction of new HMRC import software (i.e. Chief replacement)?

7) Is an increase in tariff code auditing to be expected in the aftermath of Brexit, if so how frequently would you expect? Currently we have had 2 in 8 years.

8) Do you have any idea of likely impacts to the borders and precautions to make in response?

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Klaudia, Supply Chain Analyst
  • Hi @Klaudia Lyszczarz,

Thanks so much for submitting these brilliant questions ahead of the Q&A tomorrow. I'll send them onto our experts so they can prepare.

Amy
  • Hi @Klaudia Lyszczarz,

Thanks so much for submitting these brilliant questions ahead of the Q&A tomorrow. I'll send them onto our experts so they can prepare.

Amy
  • I am posting this question on behalf of Nigel Whittingham, Manufacturing Director, Buhler Digital Technologies
    The only question we have is, which way will the vote in Parliament go?
    Jim Davison
    Network Director
    EEF
  • I am posting this question on behalf of Nigel Whittingham, Manufacturing Director, Buhler Digital Technologies
    The only question we have is, which way will the vote in Parliament go?
    Jim Davison
    Network Director
    EEF
  • Thanks Jim & Nigel I think if anyone knew the answer to this question they would be very rich!

Amy
  • Thanks Jim & Nigel I think if anyone knew the answer to this question they would be very rich!

Amy