EEF Manufacturing Network Podcast - Mark Sage Executive Director of AREA
31-10-2018, 12:16 PM - Views: 347
Listen now to our podcast with Network Member Mark Sage, Executive Director of the AREA CLICK HERE to download. Mark explains what augmented reality is, barriers to adoption and the RoI calculator which can help SMEs make decisions as to whether AR is right for their business.
If you have any questions about augmented reality or the AREA then just send @Mark Sage a message via the Network.
Augmented Reality - want to know more?
Immersive technology and mixed, virtual and augmented reality are all terms that have analysts and industry visionaries excited, predicting that billions will be spent in the coming years. Virtual and augmented reality alone are forecast by IDC to grow to $162 billion in revenue by 2020.
One sector where actual performance, efficiency and bottom line improvements are already being made is Enterprise Augmented Reality (AR).
Mark Sage, the Executive Director of the Augmented Reality Enterprise Alliance (AREA) explains, “Enterprise AR solutions are providing real benefit to organisations right now.” Sage notes that there are many different business problems that can be solved or improved, including:
· Relevant data - presenting only the latest, contextual and useful information to workers, when they need it
· Better resource management - keeping experts at the disposal of the entire workforce
· Real-time compliance - capturing, recording and certifying processes for policy compliance
· Reduced time – improving the efficiency of infrequent and complex tasks
· Minimised Errors - preventing human error and miscalculation
· Lower Costs – lowering the impact of task interruption and errors
Any new technology requires the ecosystem players to come together. This includes Enterprises (benefiting from AR technology), Providers (developing service, software and hardware AR solutions) and Non-commercial supporting organisations (universities, public research institutes and agencies that deliver research and push the boundaries of AR technology).
Many organisations want and need a better understanding of the AR tools available, application possibilities, methods of implementation and return on investment (ROI) for Enterprise AR.
This is the goal of the AREA, according to Mark Sage.
The AREA is the only global, membership-funded non-profit alliance dedicated to helping accelerate the adoption of Enterprise Augmented Reality (AR) by supporting the growth of a comprehensive ecosystem
At the highest level, AREA members focus on creating three key benefits:
1. Providing the latest, relevant, neutral and useful information to help Enterprise executives make informed decisions on how to invest in AR
2. Creating a network with opportunities to learn, co-innovate and build partnerships for the long-term adoption of AR technology
3. Identifying barriers to Enterprise AR adoption and working together to find solutions for the benefit of all
Anyone interested in Enterprise AR should take a look at the AREA portal (www.theAREA.org). There is lots of useful content, from the latest thought leadership via news and blog articles to use cases, case studies, technology white papers and ROI information. You can also find the latest list of events and other useful information.