• Alternatives to toluene

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for some safer alternatives for the use of Toluene.

We use Toluene to clean and tackify our EPDM and Neoprene material, if anyone has any knowledgewho could help or any ideas of a safer alternative please could you advise, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Amy Brunsdon; 10-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.
  • Hi everyone,
    I am looking for some safer alternatives for the use of Toluene.

We use Toluene to clean and tackify our EPDM and Neoprene material, if anyone has any knowledgewho could help or any ideas of a safer alternative please could you advise, thanks in advance.

• Hi @Adam Desforges

Thanks for your question, I will outreach to a few community members who may be able to help.

In the meantime, I encourage others to share their experiences.

Amy
    Network Community Manager
    Download the EEF Network app for iPhone or Android here
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the network here
  • Hi @Adam Desforges

Thanks for your question, I will outreach to a few community members who may be able to help.

In the meantime, I encourage others to share their experiences.

Amy

• Thank you Amy
  • Thank you Amy

• Hi, @Adam Desforges I spoke to one of my colleagues out in the field and he said a company he visited last week has replaced using toluene with Mythel Ether Ketone (MEK), although he did say he was'nt sure if it harsh enough to tackify the material though.

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen this leaflet (attached) before but one of my colleagues in eneviormnetal policy thought it would be good to share with you.

Thanks

Amy

Toulene 1.pdf
  • Hi, @Adam Desforges I spoke to one of my colleagues out in the field and he said a company he visited last week has replaced using toluene with Mythel Ether Ketone (MEK), although he did say he was'nt sure if it harsh enough to tackify the material though.

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen this leaflet (attached) before but one of my colleagues in eneviormnetal policy thought it would be good to share with you.

Thanks

Amy

Toulene 1.pdf

• H, thanks for the advice, we use MEK on site already and I think your right in saying it may not tackify the material enough but we I will speak to our technical department to see if we have completed trials with this in the past and if not it is worth giving it a try so thanks for the suggestion.
    I have also printing off the PDF and will send this on to our technical department too.
    Thank you
  • H, thanks for the advice, we use MEK on site already and I think your right in saying it may not tackify the material enough but we I will speak to our technical department to see if we have completed trials with this in the past and if not it is worth giving it a try so thanks for the suggestion.
    I have also printing off the PDF and will send this on to our technical department too.
    Thank you

• Hi @Adam Desforges,

I've spoken to an Academic and he said it depends on what your constraints are on ‘safety’. i.e. how harsh a solvent can you get away with using?

He suggested THF (tetrahydrofuran, but he doesn't know if you will dislike this solvent (on safety grounds).
    Zaheda
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 25-10-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Adam Desforges,

I've spoken to an Academic and he said it depends on what your constraints are on ‘safety’. i.e. how harsh a solvent can you get away with using?

He suggested THF (tetrahydrofuran, but he doesn't know if you will dislike this solvent (on safety grounds).
    Zaheda

• Hi Zaheda,
    Thank you for the information, I will look into Tetrahydrofuran to see if it is any less harsh than Toluene and if so I can commence some trials to see how it reacts with our product,
    Thank you
  • Hi Zaheda,
    Thank you for the information, I will look into Tetrahydrofuran to see if it is any less harsh than Toluene and if so I can commence some trials to see how it reacts with our product,
    Thank you