• vans and the need for tachographs

I am hoping that you have an expert whom you can connect me too that will be able to guide us on the subject of our Hilux which we occasionally use to pull a trailer to a distance greater than 62 miles from base.

It is fitted with a tacho and my initial questions are

• If it is being driven without the trailer does that driver need to be using the tacho
    • Do we require an ‘O’ license to use it with the trailer from here
    • Will the new rules make any difference to what we need to be doing
    • When being driven with the trailer does each possible driver need their own personal tacho card
    Click below to see solutions
  • I am hoping that you have an expert whom you can connect me too that will be able to guide us on the subject of our Hilux which we occasionally use to pull a trailer to a distance greater than 62 miles from base.

It is fitted with a tacho and my initial questions are

• If it is being driven without the trailer does that driver need to be using the tacho
    • Do we require an ‘O’ license to use it with the trailer from here
    • Will the new rules make any difference to what we need to be doing
    • When being driven with the trailer does each possible driver need their own personal tacho card
    Click below to see solutions

• Best Answer

Hi @Steve Farrant,

I've asked some of the HSE team here at EEF and they recommended you take a look at this website as it may have some useful information: https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/businesses

Let me know if you find this useful.

Amy
    Network Community Manager
    Download the EEF Network app for iPhone or Android here
    Need help? Ask me your questions about the network here
  • Hi @Steve Farrant,

I've asked some of the HSE team here at EEF and they recommended you take a look at this website as it may have some useful information: https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/businesses

Let me know if you find this useful.

Amy

• Best Answer

Hi @Steve Farrant

Had this through from my team, hope it helps In answer, if the vehicle is being used to tow a trailer where the possible maximum gross weight of towing vehicle and trailer exceeds 3500kg, the vehicle must be operated under operator licence conditions and a tacho card must always be used in the name of the driver while being used.
    If the max gross weight of the towing vehicle without trailer does not exceed 3000kg, then a tacho card does not need to be used.
    That said, if the vehicle is on an operators licence, it would be best to always use a tacho card so that accurate records are available in the event of a DVLA audit.
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; 09-01-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Steve Farrant

Had this through from my team, hope it helps In answer, if the vehicle is being used to tow a trailer where the possible maximum gross weight of towing vehicle and trailer exceeds 3500kg, the vehicle must be operated under operator licence conditions and a tacho card must always be used in the name of the driver while being used.
    If the max gross weight of the towing vehicle without trailer does not exceed 3000kg, then a tacho card does not need to be used.
    That said, if the vehicle is on an operators licence, it would be best to always use a tacho card so that accurate records are available in the event of a DVLA audit.

• Best Answer

Many thanks for the help but i have had to go to the experts and buy a training course.
    the answers to my questions were
    • do we need an O licence to use the trailers.. NO
    • can anyone drive the van without a trailer... YES
    • if driven > 62 miles away for a demo, is a tacho needed... YES
    • and the driver (not his usual role) must have a diary with him to show what he has been doing the previous 28 days regardless of how far he is going
  • Many thanks for the help but i have had to go to the experts and buy a training course.
    the answers to my questions were
    • do we need an O licence to use the trailers.. NO
    • can anyone drive the van without a trailer... YES
    • if driven > 62 miles away for a demo, is a tacho needed... YES
    • and the driver (not his usual role) must have a diary with him to show what he has been doing the previous 28 days regardless of how far he is going

• Best Answer

Hi @Steve Farrant,

Thanks for sharing the answers with the community, I'm sure that others will find the information useful. Can I ask who you approached for the training in the end?

Do let me know if there's anything else we can help with and I encourage other community members to continue sharing their experiences of using tachos.

Thanks

Amy
  • Hi @Steve Farrant,

Thanks for sharing the answers with the community, I'm sure that others will find the information useful. Can I ask who you approached for the training in the end?

Do let me know if there's anything else we can help with and I encourage other community members to continue sharing their experiences of using tachos.

Thanks

Amy

• Hi @Steve Farrant,

Thanks for posting this question. I'm not sure if this an area EEF has expertise in but I will endeavor to publicize the question more widely to help find an expert.

I encourage others to share their expertise with you.

Amy
  • Hi @Steve Farrant,

Thanks for posting this question. I'm not sure if this an area EEF has expertise in but I will endeavor to publicize the question more widely to help find an expert.

I encourage others to share their expertise with you.

Amy

• This is a Gov't site quoting all the rules. What I ideally need is someone who knows about the application of these rules in the real world. Thanks though.
  • This is a Gov't site quoting all the rules. What I ideally need is someone who knows about the application of these rules in the real world. Thanks though.

• The very helpful Company are Novadata
  • The very helpful Company are Novadata

• Hi @Steve Ferrant ,

so pleased you managed to find an answer for your query! Thanks for informing us how you found these statistics for yourselves, very useful!
    Last edited by Daniel Kirmatzis; Today at 11:28 AM. Reason: tagging
  • Hi @Steve Ferrant ,

so pleased you managed to find an answer for your query! Thanks for informing us how you found these statistics for yourselves, very useful!